Thursday, May 3, 2012

Language Difficulties

We've heard so many stories about people going to different countries and saying ridiculous things in their new language that we knew it was only a matter of time until we would have our own silly stories to share.  Today you get to hear about a few of the crazy things we've said since arriving.

One Sunday, Boa Vista (another church we attend) had a meal after service to raise money for their new roof.  Annika was eating a cupcake and someone asked what was inside the cupcake.  She replied that there was "cerveja" inside the cupcake when in fact she meant to say that there was "cereja" inside the cupcake.  Cerveja means beer and cereja means cherry.

Just a few days ago I was talking to a few people and they were asking where I lived before I came here to Brazil.  I've been trying to use my past tense skills, but I'm still almost always wrong when I use it.  So, I started answering her question by saying "eu morri" and then immediately realized that I had just told her that "I died" instead of saying "I lived."  We laughed for a while before I was finally able to answer her question.   Morei = I lived      Morri = I died  

Portuguese uses masculine/ feminine forms for pretty much everything.  I am always messing it up...usually at my own expense, but one day I was trying to tell two guys to smile for the camera and used the feminine form of "you two" implying that they were girls.  Oops.  Someone had to tell me later why everyone was laughing so hard because I couldn't figure out what had happened.

I'm sure there will be more to come  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment